top of page

Carers Allowance

The main state benefit that some Carers can claim is Carer's Allowance.

This allowance is for people who regularly spend at least 35 hours a week caring for someone with a disability who receives a Disability Living Allowance (Middle or Higher Rate for Personal Care), Attendance Allowance or Constant Attendance Allowance (paid as an addition to a War Disablement Pension or industrial disablement benefit).

Carers must not be in full time education or earning above a certain amount. Dependents additions may be payable. It is taxable.

Who qualifies for a Carer's Allowance?

  • You must be 16 years old or over

  • You must look after someone for at least 35 hours a week

  • The person you look after must receive a qualifying disability benefit

  • If you work you must not earn more than £110 a week net pay, although this figure is revised every April, so be sure to check (see relevant links below).

  • You must be living in the UK when you claim Carer's Allowance

  • You must not be a full-time student. This is defined as supervised studying for 21 or more hours per week.

How much is Carer's Allowance?

Carer's Allowance is paid at a standard rate, currently set at £62.10 a week.

Other Important Information

Make Sure: to check with the person you are caring for before you make a claim for Carer's Allowance since they may lose some of the benefit they receive, such as a severe disability addition, as a result of the Carer's Allowance claim. This is only if the disabled person lives on their own and does not include underlying entitlement awards of Carer's Allowance.

Underlying Entitlement: You cannot receive Carer's Allowance and a State Retirement Pension. If however you are a carer who would qualify for Carers Allowance, you may be entitled to what is known as Underlying Entitlement, which may entitle you to the same benefits that your retirement pension does.

For more information about the Carer's Allowance visit:

  • Your local Carers' Centre

  • Your local Citizens Advice Bureau

  • website

  • CarersDirect website

  • CAB's online advice guide

You can also claim online via the GOV UK site.

bottom of page