top of page

Money Matters

We are here to help Carers you with all their money matters.








Carers Assessments

If you provide a regular and substantial amount of care for someone aged 18 or over, you are entitled to a Carers Assessment which is also sometimes called a Carers Needs Assessment.

The assessment is carried out by the Social Services Department of the Local Authority. This assessment can be carried out at a place convenient to you, in either your home, the home of the person you care for or somewhere independent such as your local Carers Centre. Social Services will look at your situation and see if you are entitled to any services that could make caring easier for you.

 The assessment is an opportunity for you to tell the social worker what impact caring has on you. It may be a good idea to make a list, or keep a diary, of everything you do to look after the person you care for.

The assessment is about you, the person you care for does not need to be present. You can ask a friend or relative to be with you during the assessment, if you wish.

In Sutton, you also have the option of completing the form yourself with our support then sending it on to Social Services, alternatively we can make a direct referral on your behalf.

If there is more than one Carer providing regular care in your household, you are each entitled to an assessment.


Maximising your income

Are you receiving all of the benefits and concessions that you are entitled to? We have a specialist member of staff to assist you in maximising your income.

Services offered include:

  • A free and comprehensive benefits check by a welfare benefits specialist from Citizen’s Advice Sutton.

  • This service is available by appointment at Sutton Carers Centre. For those unable to come into the Centre, we may be able to arrange a home visit.

  • We can provide assistance with completing a wide range of benefits and concessionary forms such as Personal Independence Payment (PIP), Attendance Allowance (AA), Taxi Cards, Carers Allowance, Blue Badge applications and much more.

  • For those with limited finances and financial difficulties, we may be able to assist with individual grant application(s) to reduce the stress and strain that managing caring responsibilities can sometimes bring. 


Disability Living Allowance

There are benefits for people who are disabled or have a long term health condition. These include:


  • Personal Independence Payment (for ages 16 to 64)

  • Attendance Allowance (for 65 and over with care needs)

  • Disability Living Allowance (new claims are for under 16s only)


Make sure the person you care for claims these benefits if they qualify. Your ability to claim Carer’s Allowance may be affected by the benefits they claim.


As a Carer you cannot claim these benefits unless you are disabled or have a long term health condition yourself.

Carers Allowance


The main state benefit that some Carers can claim is Carer's Allowance.

This allowance is for people who regularly spend at least 35 hours a week caring for someone with a disability who receives a Disability Living Allowance (Middle or Higher Rate for Personal Care), Attendance Allowance or Constant Attendance Allowance (paid as an addition to a War Disablement Pension or industrial disablement benefit).

Carers must not be in full time education or earning above a certain amount. Dependents additions may be payable. It is taxable.

Who qualifies for a Carer's Allowance?

  • You must be 16 years old or over

  • You must look after someone for at least 35 hours a week

  • The person you look after must receive a qualifying disability benefit

  • If you work you must not earn more than £128 a week net pay, although this figure is revised every April, so be sure to check (see relevant links below).

  • You must be living in the UK when you claim Carer's Allowance

  • You must not be a full-time student. This is defined as supervised studying for 21 or more hours per week.

How much is Carer's Allowance?

Carer's Allowance is paid at a standard rate, currently set at £67.25 a week.

Other Important Information

Make sure to check with the person you are caring for before you make a claim for Carer's Allowance since they may lose some of the benefit they receive, such as a severe disability addition, as a result of the Carer's Allowance claim. This is only if the disabled person lives on their own and does not include underlying entitlement awards of Carer's Allowance.

Underlying Entitlement: You cannot receive Carer's Allowance and a State Retirement Pension. If however you are a carer who would qualify for Carers Allowance, you may be entitled to what is known as Underlying Entitlement, which may entitle you to benefits that your retirement pension does.

For more information about the Carer's Allowance visit:

  • Sutton Carers Centre

  • Your local Citizens Advice Bureau

  • website

  • CAB's online advice guide

You can also claim online via the GOV UK site.

Housing and Council Tax


You may be able to get help paying your rent if you have a low income and live in rented housing.  Not all Carers can claim Housing Benefit but you can apply if you:


  • pay rent

  • have a low income (you can be working or on other benefits)

  • have less than £16,000 saved


The person you care for may be able to apply for Housing Benefit if this describes them.



CLICK HERE for more information

Income Support


You may be able to get Income Support and tax credits if you have a low income. Not all Carers can claim them but check if you, or the person you care for, qualify.


CLICK HERE for more information

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • YouTube
  • Pinterest
  • Tumblr Social Icon
  • Instagram
bottom of page